It’s a glorious Sunday here in the Boston area. A great day for a walk, a picnic, or simply sitting out on the porch and watching the world go by while you pretend to read a book.
Oh, and what Cinie said:
“Just for giggles, why not? Considering the connections, motives and tactics of the players, people are just manufacturing support for their jockeying for position chess moves. While you’re being manipulated to point fingers and pick sides, what you’re really doing is playing into, or out of, the hands of somebody’s corporate agenda. For the right wing, that means build their numbers, for the left, it means love Obama. The only thing really worth considering then, is, when it’s all said and done, whose side can you live with having been on? Soros or Koch? Neither? If you are indeed on one side of the political spectrum or another, the first thing you must do is take your party back. Otherwise, it’s all just advertiser-sponsored theater.
And, the joke’s on you.”
EXCELLENT question Cinie. Which astro-turfed team do YOU want to support? If neither, welcome to Puma.* If either one or the other — get goin! Go on, get! There’s work for you to do over at Firedoglake or Malkin!
We’re tearing each other apart over extremely minor points while we ignore the epic battle being waged by forces with hundreds of millions of dollars to spend. The spoils of that epic battle are the same as they always have been, going back to the European conquistadors or the Roman legions: Gold and Slaves.
- GOLD = Money: corporate profits, government contracts, deregulation, and cronyism
- SLAVES = Voters: manipulate and propagandize as many “citizens” as possible into voting for your side’s candidates. Use social wedge issues which appeal to naive Americans’ sense of right and wrong. Gay Marriage! Abortion! Illegal Immigration! War! Taxes!
Check it out. Look at the wedge issues each party uses to manipulate us into voting for them. Each and every one is a PERFECT DIVIDER, that is, about an equal number of Americans support or oppose the issue. If 85% of Americans supported keeping our borders open or outlawing abortion in all cases, then neither party would ever talk about them again — for one side it would be preaching to the choir and for the other it would be a battle too big and quixotic to spend money on. That’s why the fanatics and idealists in the voting population are doomed to be disappointed — they will NEVER get the government to do what they want. So, the Republican Party and the Democratic Party’s commitment to wedge issues is not to SOLVE them but to KEEP THEM ALIVE so WE keep fighting with each other and demonizing our neighbors. Psst, they don’t actually CARE about fetuses or illegal immigrants — what they care about is using the fact that YOU CARE to their advantage.
Hasn’t it ever bothered you to see on TV the most liberal members of the Senate shaking hands with and hanging out with the most conservative? Hasn’t it ever sort of disturbed you to realize that the Democrats in power really, really like their powerful Republican friends? Say I’m a radical feminist, environmentalist, peace-loving liberal who believes gay marriage is a constitutional right and who really admires many aspects of Scandinavian democratic socialism. It stands to reason that I would hold religious, free-market, pro-military, pro forced pregnancy conservative homophobes in utter contempt, right? I would not meet with them, talk to them, party with them, invite them to my Christmas party or support any of their efforts in our community. In fact I’d attack them personally as crazy, stupid, corrupt, evil, and maybe even ugly.
Well how come the powers that be don’t do that? How come Dianne Feinstein is great pals with Orrin Hatch? How come Bill Clinton and George HW Bush love hanging out together? How come Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s closest friend on the Court is Antonin Scalia?
What are we missing here? I think we’re missing the obvious fact that the American people are PAWNS to the powers that be. Having us fight with each other over ideological scraps and dehumanize each other means the powers that be get to stay right where they are, looking down from on high like aristocrats at the Coliseum watching the slaves tear each other to pieces.
Want Puma to Grow?
- Start including and stop excluding
- Post links to puma sites at other blogs
- Post links to news of interest to Pumas here and at other Puma sites
- Stop slapping people down and start lifting people up
* Oh, and p.s. we don’t need to have nationally competing candidates for office or a headquarters in Washington D.C. or million dollar budgets to be a political party or a voting bloc. All we have to do is stay unified and stay PRESENT on the web and in person — but especially on the internet. Because as news and events develop, the internet is the EASIEST and most FREE way for people newly demoralized or disgusted by the obama administration to find us.